A lot of people think that I have this amazing cushion job where I go to work whenever I want and barely do anything and get paid for it. That would be nice but it isn't the case. Sure, I make a good amount of money for my age and yes, my mom got me my job but I work hard and always put work high on my priorities because I am a dedicated employee. Over two years ago I got a job as the file clerk position in the mail room from my mom. She got me the job and they hired me based only on the fact that my mother was an excellent worker so why wouldn't her daughter be? In many cases, the company could have been disappointed. My position was a full time position and at the end of summer the then office manager figured I would leave and find a job that would fit my school schedule but luckily there was another opening in the new files department of the office. I am very thankful that I got to train into that position because that is what I do today. It can be a part time position or a full time position and I do both at certain times of the year (when I work part time, I rush from school to get to work and work five hours a day). At one point, I was with another employee and we would open new incoming files together and do secretary projects (integrating letters and medicals into the file, exhibit packets for trial, copy jobs, making sure the file is presentable, etc.). Somewhere along the way, my co-workers got new jobs and I am now doing a job that usually takes two people on my own. It is great because I am usually always busy. The job itself can get repetitive and boring sometimes but I manage.
Working with my mother is not always the best of times. If we get into a tiff at home then it carries over into work and vice versa. Or, we both assume that if we need help with something the other will do it no matter what. I love my mother in her new office manager position; she is doing such an amazing job and I wouldn't want to work for anyone other but it gets tough sometimes.
The point is, the partners at my law firm obviously see potential in me and I do a great job at my job. I didn't just get raises because my mom got me the job. She has no real say in how much money we make, it is the managing attorneys who make all the decisions. I have established relationships with most of them and if I got raises based on being the person I am then great! I put a lot of hard work into that company and people obviously see that. It isn't easy working for fourteen lawyers who all want things done a certain way and fifteen secretaries who need projects done and calendar that needs to be perfect or else an attorney will flip because they went to court at the wrong time or the wrong venue. It can get stressful and it is. Somehow I manage though, and even after all that hard work people assume I just have a cush job and make too much money.
It just gets frustrating when people assume you have all this money flying around and think you don't work for it. I have bills, more than a lot of people my age that I know. Almost all my friends don't pay for their car insurance or cell phone bills. Basic bills like that can add up when you work part time and I pay for them myself. Some may be reading this and are thinking man bitterness but I am just sick of the same comments about how I have this awesome job and I make so much money, when in reality it is all perspective. Don't get me wrong, I love my job to death but just because I make more than someone doesn't mean I have more money.

2 comments:
I don't think you're overpaid at all!In fact,you deserve a raise today. Tony
I am sorry I incorrectly spelled your name---Tanya!!
Post a Comment